The vast territory of the Médoc AOC
stretches over the north of the Médoc peninsular. In the 1960's, the Médoc, a land dotted with Gallo-Roman vineyards testifying to its rich economic past, enjoyed a new lease of life, brought from North Africa. A few repatriates settled on vineyard land that had been laying waste after a series of financial crises. With steely determination, they instilled fresh enthusiasm in the locals and revived part of the vineyards using new growing techniques and their secrets of vinification. The Médoc AOC, granted by a decree of 14 November 1936, is the largest in the Médoc region today.
According to regulations, the eight demarcated appellations of the Médoc region (from La Jalle de Blanquefort to the north of the Bordeaux agglomeration up nearly as far as the La Pointe de Grave) can use the Médoc appellation. But it also has its own specific territory located in the north of the peninsula which produces wines exclusively of that appellation. In fact, the vast majority of wines of the Médoc is from the north of the peninsula. Among these various wines, Château d'Escurac, Château Haut-Maurac and Château La Tour de By are particularly worthy of attention.
The Médoc appellation area combines three Médoc soil types: Garonne gravel, Pyrenean gravel and clay-limestone. Given the appellation's vast size, there is naturally a great diversity of terroirs. The vineyard area eligible for the appellation covers 5,740 hectares and produces around 275,000 hectolitres. The wines are mainly produced from the Merlot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon grape varieties, complemented by smaller proportions of Cabernet Franc, Carménère, Petit Verdot, Cot or Malbec.
More informations on the website of the wines of Médoc