is the product of the 18th-century consolidation of many different vineyard parcels in Pauillac by Jean-François de Pontet, Great Squire of France who became governor of the Médoc. His descendants expanded the estate with the acquisition of neighboring vineyards in the lieu-dit (vineyard site) of Canet. Château Pontet-Canet officially entered the elite of the Médoc with the famous 1855 ranking of Bordeaux estates. In 1865 a Bordeaux négociant named Herman Cruse bought the property. He built new winery facilities, updated the equipment, and promoted the wine around the world. The château stayed in his family for 110 years, until Guy Tesseron acquired it in 1975. Today Guy's sons, Alfred and Gérard, run the estate.
The vineyards of Château Pontet-Canet are in the heart of Pauillac, south of the neighboring properties of Mouton Rothschild and d'Armailhac, on a soil of gravel and sand. Like all Pauillac vineyards, these 80 hectares (198 acres) are planted primarily to Cabernet Sauvignon, a fussy variety that is perfectly adapted to the climatic and geological conditions of this appellation, resulting in robust, structured, long-aging wines that are known for their finesse and elegance. As is customary in the Médoc, Château Pontet-Canet adds Merlot and Cabernet Franc to the blend, offering a necessary touch of supple charm. In some vintages Petit Verdot is added to the mix, bringing greater complexity to the wine. The working philosophy at Château Pontet-Canet is to intervene as little and as naturally as possible in the vineyard, creating wines that maintain their place in the legend of the Médoc.
More informations on the website Pontet-Canet