Established on July 31st, 1937, Clos de Vougeot
is a grand cru appellation in the Côte de Nuits (the northern part of the Côte d'Or). It occupies a large part of the village of Vougeot, which sits between Chambolle-Musigny and Flagey-Echézeaux / Vosne-Romanée. Up the slope from Clos de Vougeot are two other grand crus: Musigny and Grands-Echezeaux.
An emblem of Burgundy, Clos de Vougeot was founded around the year 1110 by the nearby Abbey of Cîteaux and belonged to the abbey until the French Revolution. A single block of land covering 50 hectares (124 acres), the clos (walled vineyard) is still enclosed by walls built five centuries ago by the monks of Cîteaux. Today Clos de Vougeot is one of Burgundy's most renowned red grand crus. Pinot Noir is planted on a shallow and very rocky phaneric (coarse crystalline) soil over a bedrock of Bajocian limestone. In the middle of the clos is a shallow brown soil over more clayey limestone gravel. In the lower part of the clos is a clay- and silt-rich marl soil.
The excellent wines of Clos de Vougeot
are the result of meticulous care, especially at Maison Chanson Père et Fils, Domaine Leroy, Château de la Tour, Domaine Méo-Camuzet, and Domaine Joseph Drouhin.
More informations on the website of the wines of Clos de Vougeot