The Clos Saint-Denis AOC
is a Grand Cru appellation of the Côte de Nuits in the Côte-d'Or.
Of all the villages of the Côte de Nuits, Morey-Saint-Denis is among those with the most grands crus. The Clos de Tart, which remains a “monopoly” (a single owner), was founded by the Cistercian monks of Tart in 1141. Since that date, it has been part of only three successive inheritances. The Clos Saint-Denis appeared in the 11th century, thanks to the Canons of Vergy. The Clos de la Roche and Clos des Lambrays are both semi-monopolies and both have long histories which have involved some modification of boundaries between climats. The Grand Cru appellations were granted on 8 December 1936, 4 January 1939 (Clos de Tart) and 27 April 1981 (Clos des Lambrays). These grand crus, situated at 250 metres altitude and facing due east or slightly east/southeast, can be regarded as a southerly extension of the Grands Crus of Gevrey-Chambertin. First comes the Clos de la Roche, then Clos Saint-Denis, followed by Clos des Lambrays and finally Clos de Tart leading to Bonnes Mares.
Clos de la Roche’s soil has a high limestone content and the soil is barely 30 centimetres deep with a few pebbles and the large boulders that gave the climat its name. In the Clos de Tart, the underlying limestone is covered by scree-derived soils 40-120 cm thick. The upper part of the Clos des Lambrays is marly with clay-limestone further down. The Clos Saint-Denis, at the foot of the slope, has pebble-free brown limestone soils which contain phosphorus (like Chambertin) and clay (like Musigny).
Clos Saint-Denis impresses with its finely-tuned nuances – this wine is the Mozart of the Côte de Nuits. The Clos de la Roche is firmer, deeper and more serious, closely akin to Chambertin. Humus and truffles are often precursors to notes of small red or black fruits. A small part of Bonnes Mares is produced in the commune, but the greater part is in Chambolle-Musigny.
More informations on the website of the wines of Clos Saint-Denis